Tuesday, July 21, 2020

AM/GM

(Click on the comic if you can't see the full image.)

(C)Copyright 2020, C. Burke. "AnthroNumerics" is a trademark of Christopher J. Burke and (x, why?).

Next update: what does ''Top and bottom of the hour'' mean

Most raido dials I've seen (ones which still exist) generally leave off the last zero to save space. However, that would've made the joke a little more confusing.

As it is, in NYC some of the major AM stations over the years have been at 660, 710, 770, 880 and 1010. Of those, it was not uncommon to hear references to 66, 77, and 88. (Not so much with the other two.)

I could have added in the FM dial, but that would've just confused things (that is, me) more.

ObMath: The AM-GM Inequality states that for any set of non-negative real numbers, the arithmetic mean will be greater than or equal to the geometric mean.

Update: Great twitter response: I did a comic about radios and didn't include the Harmonic mean. Fair enough: it's 853.8. So I could have gone with the HM-GM-AM Inequality instead.

If we're going that far, I could through in the quadratic mean, which is 1045.3, At this point we have the HM-GM-AM-QM inequalities.

But now we're getting away from my old AM/FM radio. The most bands I ever had was my TV radio, which had to VHF bands, but no UHF.



Come back often for more funny math and geeky comics.



No comments: