Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Day 26 of 30: Long Day Tomorrow, But Is It Really?

This is Day 26 of the 30-day blogging challenge. Final burst of speed.

I've been sitting here at my desk by the computer for a computer of hours now writing exams (and not writing exams, when I should have been), and I'm ready to call it quits for the evening. I have to, if I want to get ready for tomorrow and retire at a decent hour, and not make an excuse for not writing an entry for today. Last thing I remember thinking is that it's going to be a loooong day tomorrow.

But is it really?

The day will be the same approximately 24 hours that every other day is.

The daytime hours will be slightly longer than today's not much more appreciable that one would easily notice. For that matter, the next day will be even longer, and the day after that longer still. I might have to contact my local representative to let him know about the global daylight problem which, if nothing is done about, I can extrapolate that we'll have 24 hours of daylight by sometime in December. How would I sleep? I'd need a mask.

It also occurs to me that the daytime hours can be stretched tomorrow more than the following day if I take a sudden trip to, say, northern Canada tomorrow, and then come back after dark. Alaska wouldn't work as well because it would require me to fly across the entire continent, whereas I can fly due North to Canada (assuming that's the route a direct flight takes).

No, tomorrow will just seem longer because I have to give a couple of tests, but I still have to prepare work for a couple of different classes. Loaded day. To make matters worse, I always have to make multiple versions of tests to discourage cheating because when I don't, the temptation is to great to try to put one over on me. It's too late in the year for me to fail someone for this, so best to remove the temptation. Trouble is that only one version is written at the moment, so some tweaking will occur in the morning. Lunch will be spent finishing (and proof-reading) the other test for the other class. What can you do?

So it's just a day where things might weigh a little heavy on me, and there will be times when I busier than usual because the deadline just can't be pushed back any further. However, the workday will be just as long as any other.

Oh, wait a minute. Tomorrow's Thursday? I have after-school tutoring on Thursday until the end of the school year.

It's going to be a looooong day tomorrow.

No comments: