Monday, June 27, 2022

Integrity of the Interval

(Click on the comic if you can't see the full image.)
(C)Copyright 2022, C. Burke. "AnthroNumerics" is a trademark of Christopher J. Burke and (x, why?).

I have no idea where that phrase came from. I just popped out of my mouth.

Is it something that Bro. Steve might've said? Maybe. But I'm fairly certain that he didn't. Not that I remember.

A question did come up regarding a rubric about graphing errors. If a specific interval is given, then going beyond that interval is a graphing error because it didn't follow directions. If the graphs is within the interval but has arrows at the endpoints, that implies that it continues beyond the interval. So it is an error as well.

Why are the arrows such a big deal? I stated the above without even thinking about it. I was just giving a rationale, by the way, not necessarily endorsing it. I hate when questions are set up in ways that make losing points easy. I don't mind thoughtful problems, but I don't like "gotcha" problems.

Are arrows on the endpoints a "gotcha"? The prrof is left as an exercise to the reader.

One other thing: for my newer readers, Bro. Steve appeared once before back at a time when most of the male characters were tall and thin with big feet. I found it amusing back then, but started altering the characters after a number of years.



I also write Fiction!


You can now preorder Devilish And Divine, edited by John L. French and Danielle Ackley-McPhail, which contains (among many, many others) three stories by me, Christopher J. Burke about those above us and from down below.
Preorder the softcover or ebook at Amazon.

Also, check out In A Flash 2020, by Christopher J. Burke for 20 great flash fiction stories, perfectly sized for your train rides.
Available in softcover or ebook at Amazon.

If you enjoy it, please consider leaving a rating or review on Amazon or on Good Reads.





Come back often for more funny math and geeky comics.



No comments: