Friday, August 07, 2020

Denesting Radicals

(Click on the comic if you can't see the full image.)

(C)Copyright 2020, C. Burke. "AnthroNumerics" is a trademark of Christopher J. Burke and (x, why?).

It's not easy getting them to leave the nest!

I was prepared to explain how to "denest" a nested radical, such as SQRT(3 + SQRT(5)), but aside from the obvious limitations of text on this blogging platform, I reviewed not only the steps, but the necessary conditions for denesting.

It's a little more involved than I usually get. So allow me to point to a wiki page on the subject.

As for the example above (which is hinted at in the comic), SQRT(3 + SQRT(5)) is equivalent to (1 + SQRT(5)) / SQRT(2), or SQRT(2)/2 + SQRT(5/2). You can check my math at wolframalpha.

I realize the imagery (and dialogue) is similar to my Free Radical comic, but what are you going to do? Math always circles back on itself.

For something else that is (sadly) neither free nor radical (I don't think it is), I have a flash fiction anthology available: In A Flash 2020, which you might enjoy reading next time you leave your nest and ride public transit, or when settling in your nest for a quiet evening.



Come back often for more funny math and geeky comics.



No comments: