Monday, July 11, 2016

(x, why?) Mini: Long Division

(Click on the comic if you can't see the full image.)
(C)Copyright 2016, C. Burke.

Maybe not so much as a conversation as a response to a mini-rant.

I made a note at that point to turn this into a comic. I recently just found that note. Thankfully, I was able to find the original tweets in question.

Many teachers of younger grades are frustrated with long division. It's not easy to teach, and it seems to be an outdated skill since we have calculators. (That said, I've used that skill in Algebra 2 classes with dividing polynomials, which has become more difficult because many of them haven't done long division by hand in five or more years!)

This particular rant (meant to be humorous, from the start) came from Doug Robertson, author of He's the Weird Teacher and The Teaching Text (You're Welcome)

The response was purely me.

For the doubters, here are the tweets in question.




Come back often for more funny math and geeky comics.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As an interesting aside: I learned polynomial division before I learned "normal" long division.