Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Congruent

(Click on the comic if you can't see the full image.)

(C)Copyright 2020, C. Burke. "AnthroNumerics" is a trademark of Christopher J. Burke and (x, why?).

A Pythagorean Triple whammy.

Originally, I was going to use WALK and RIDE before I decided I wanted Pentagons, for whatever reason. Oddly, it was difficult finding lists of 6-letter words with no repeated letters. Maybe I was using poor search terms.

EDIT: This was supposed to have been added when I got home last night and was sitting at my own computer. That obviously did not happen.
A congurent number is an integer that is the area of a right triagnle with three rational sides, which are not necessarily integers.
In the case of this comic, a triangle with sides of 24/5, 35/12, and 337/60 would have an area of (1/2)(24/5)(35/12), or 7.

No, not an obvious solution. I saw the list of congruent numbers before I found a list of triangles that created them. I wouldn't have wanted to have worked that out. For starters, I probably would've been stuck on the 7-24-25 triangle, trying to get an area of 7 out of that!



Come back often for more funny math and geeky comics.



No comments: