Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

Were I under some kind of contractual obligation to sponsors or syndicators, I would probably toss out my usual format and insert a lame attempt at a patriotic panel of artwork featuring my main characters, possibly acting somewhat uncharacteristic of themselves.

Thankfully, I am not, so I can just come right out and wish every a Happy Memorial Day, and hope that it is a happy one for you, and not a somber day remembering someone close to you who was lost defending our freedoms. For those who did lose someone precious, I dedicate this day to you and to them and give you all my thanks and prayers.

And I hope those untouched in this way do take a moment out sometime today, with or without the parades, flags and flyovers, to remember those who have protected our freedoms.

Since I don't have any past Memorial Day comics to point to -- I guess I had similar feelings then, as well, -- I'll repost the link to What is a Vet?, which I found on the Internet back in the late 90s.

Happy Memorial Day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huh, I didn't know that about syndicates. That makes sense, thanks!

(Just discovered your blog, some great stuff here!)

(x, why?) said...

I didn't mean that syndicators would make me do a comic specifically for Memorial Day (although re-reading my post, I guess it does read like that).

What I meant was, I'm not obligated to do a strip on any particular day, but if I had been, then, yes, I would have forced myself to do a Memorial Day strip, but I don't know how good it would have been. I try to keep it light and amusing, which are two adjectives that don't really go with the day, unless I just made it about beaches and barbecues.