Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Doing Some Writing: Writing Prompts

Occasionally, I troll reddit's subgroup for "Writing Prompts", which I've mentioned in the past. I've even blogged about it before. I'm writing more of them now, but the same issue remains. By the time I respond, the prompts have slipped from view, so my efforts don't (to my knowledge) get read a lot, which means that they don't get a lot of votes.

If you're interested in some of my creative writing, here are some of my more recent attempts. Feel free to comment here or there. If you're not a "redditor", you'll need to join before voting or commenting. (It's free.) Comments on my blog are always welcome -- unless they're spam, of course.

Recent Writing Prompts on reddit

The Boss of Me
[WP] You find yourself in a room of "you"s at every age from 1 to now. On the wall it says "Who's in Charge? To end the game, all must agree, by either force or diplomacy." You all turn to face each other. 5 year old you pulls at your shirt, "So what happens now?" https://www.reddit.com/r/WritingPrompts/comments/nyv6ua/wp_you_find_yourself_in_a_room_of_yous_at_every/h1nh04l/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Cartoon Physics ... featuring a very generic mighty nimrod of a hunter
[SP] "That isn't how physics work" https://www.reddit.com/r/WritingPrompts/comments/nwi880/sp_that_isnt_how_physics_work/h19uyue/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

What the Key Unlocks -- I extended it because I was asked to, but going beyond that would require a complete overhaul
[WP] There's a door with a single key hole - it will open regardless of what key is used. All keys open this door, but what's on the other side, however, entirely depends on the key. https://www.reddit.com/r/WritingPrompts/comments/nwk8t4/wp_theres_a_door_with_a_single_key_hole_it_will/h1a66oh/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Unable to Find Myself. Oddly enough, I've had ideas about finding parallel worlds which were alike, but all the others had this one different that ours doesn't have.
[WP] Scientist have created a machine that allow people a window into alternate realities. It becomes mainstream and people talk about alternate versions of themselves. Finally you decide to take a look only to discover that there are no alternate versions of you. You're the only you in existence. https://www.reddit.com/r/WritingPrompts/comments/nqhyz7/wp_scientist_have_created_a_machine_that_allow/h0c2p0a/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Making the Most of a Small Sacrifice. This one got some legs because I deliberately included a phrase that people could latch onto or mock. It got their attention.
[WP] The ritual calls for 100 sacrifices, but reading carefully you realize it never specified they had to be human. Deciding to be a smartass, you got a petri dish full of bacteria and sacrificed that instead. https://www.reddit.com/r/WritingPrompts/comments/nv3y8v/wp_the_ritual_calls_for_100_sacrifices_but/h11xdfa/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

The Four-Color Peacock. I like my superhero stories
[WP] In a world of super villians who never monologue about their plans and heroes that never wait until the last moment to save the day, you are the only one to have any sense of theatrics. https://www.reddit.com/r/WritingPrompts/comments/nld7sw/wp_in_a_world_of_super_villians_who_never/gzixoyg/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

If you want to see more, LET ME KNOW! My tagline for this blog years ago was "I THRIVE ON FEEDBACK". Maybe I should resurrect that.

No comments: