Saturday, August 23, 2014

A Little Bit of Fibonacci ...

Today's column isn't going to happen the way I wanted it to, so I'll try it for tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll leave you with this:

I just finished posted a series of comics with crazy numbers in the titles after the word "part", instead of the normal "Part 1/10, Part 2/10, ..." etc.

This is because those numbers were intended to be ratios, and not just any ratios, but Fibonacci number ratios. As you might have guessed from the first episode in that sequence, I would be working with Fibonacci numbers. You might also have guessed that I would have been done by the time I got to 21 -- That's okay! I was expecting to be done a lot sooner, too!

As I hope to get into a little more depth tomorrow, when you divide two consecutive Fibonacci numbers, you get a ratio that is close to the Golden Ratio, which is also known as "phi", and is approximately 1.6180339887. The larger the terms, the smaller the difference between the two ratios.

Here is a table showing you the first 15 terms:

But that's not the only thing interesting about the Golden Ratio. (Well, of course not! Books could -- and have -- been written!) There should be more about it in tomorrow's entry.

No comments: